Frequently Asked Questions
When will I be notified of my award?
- BWS committee hopes to send at least one BWS member to the Bryan Station Senior Awards Banquet at the end of the Spring Semester, annually. In the case that no one can attend, the winner will be contacted soon after by phone or email.
Will I be notified whether I win or lose the scholarship?
- By the end of June all applicants will be notified through email, if they won or did not win the scholarship.
What If I am having trouble and need to contact the BWS committee?
- Please direct all concerns to the following LINK –> (SUBMIT QUESTIONS HERE). You can also visit the “Contact Us” link under the “Questions” tab to contact the BWS committee. We hope to help you with any problem you may have.
What are the criteria for choosing the winner?
- Every member of the scholarship committee, which consists of the 6 founders of the BWS, reviews each scholarship applicant materials. All pieces of the application are equally important when deciding the winner. Other items that are highlighted in the application are also taken into mind when choosing the winner, such as service to the community, employment, and involvement at school. Strong essays however say the most about the students to the committee.
Who will the BWS committee write the scholarship check to?
- The scholarship check will be made out to the student after the student provides an official proof of enrollment from the college that they are attending.
Can I send my application and materials through post mail?
- If you are in a dire situation where you must submit your application material through mail, please contact the committee at the following LINK –> (SUBMIT QUESTIONS HERE). You can also visit the “Contact Us” link under the “Questions” tab to contact the BWS committee. We will give you personal instructions on how and where to send these application material.
What if I want to donate to the BWS scholarship?
- Please visit the following LINK –> (DONATE LINK). There is information on our website concerning donations. We are very grateful for your interest to give to a Bryan Station student.
Does my grade point average matter as an applicant?
- Yes, we prefer that a student with a GPA of at least a 2.75 be awarded. The stronger the GPA the better, but GPA is only one small component that factors into our choosing a winner.
Does community service matter to my application?
- Yes, we would like to that the applicant has a history of service and giving back to the community in someway. However, community service is not the focus of this particular scholarship and is only one factor that is taken into mind when choosing a winner.
What are my chances of receiving this scholarship?
- This depends largely on how well you meet the qualifications and the level of effort that you exert on your application and essay. Only Bryan Station seniors who are enrolling in college the upcoming fall semester are eligible.
Who should I ask to write my letter of recommendation?
- Start by asking a teacher, employer, coach or mentor etc. Do not ask a friend or family member. A letter of recommendation is similar to a professional reference, choose someone who can articulate your strengths and speak your accomplishments.
Should I have my counselor log on to the website and submit a copy of my transcript?
- No. Please obtain your transcript and save in a .pdf form. The transcript needs to be submitted by you at the time your application is submitted. If you prefer to mail your transcript to us, please contact us on the website for special instructions.
Should I have my letter of recommendation writer log on to the website and submit a copy of my letter of recommendation?
- No. Please obtain your letter of recommendation and save in a .pdf form. The letter of recommendation needs to be submitted by you at the time your application is submitted. If you or your recommender prefer to mail your letter of recommendation to us, please contact us on the website for special instructions.